Historic Sites of Manitoba: Osprey School No. 261 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
The Osprey School District was established formally in 1882 and a school building was erected two years later on the northwest quarter of 5-14-15 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. As new settlers arrived in the region and other school districts were established, the trustees realized that the school was too far east so they moved it to NW6-14-15 during the winter of 1892. A new building was erected in 1937 and the old building was sold and moved to Neepawa. The school closed in 1957 due to low enrollment and, in 1965, the building was sold and moved to a site in Neepawa. A monument marks the former site of the school building, with a history of the school contained inside, behind the plaque.
The teachers of Osprey School were Charles Herrell, W. M. Hamilton, Jennie Hamilton, W. A. Scott, Mildred Campbell, John Hockin, Lillian Brown, Emma McKinney, James Dempsey, John English, Miss Sproule, George H. Blackwell, Harry Morrison, Elizabeth Burns, Nellie Davidson, Rachel Hill, Janet Thomson, Jean Burns, Winnifred Peskett, Mary J. McDonald (1914-1915), Harold Bearists (1915-1916), Florence Cruickshank (1916), Kathleen McInnis (1916), Bessie Chisholm (1917-1919), Esme Eldred (1919-1922), Isabel Lowe (1922-1924), Ruth Blackwell (1924-1925), Myrtle Shuttleworth (1925-1927), Helen Thomson (1927-1929), Marguerite Kilburn (1929-1933), Genevieve Beattie (1933-1934), Harold Thomson (1934-1938), Margaret Thomson (1938-1941), Margaret Fearnley (1941), Margaret Taylor (1942), Ruby Burnash (1942-1944), L. Joyce McDonald (1944-1945), Mavis Bland (1945), Miss Hepworth (1946), Beulah Smith (1946-1947), Lorna Armstrong (1947-1948), Mike Leung (1948-1949), Margaret Coutts (1949-1950), Mildred Drayson (1950-1951), Ethel Galloway (1951-1953), Emily James (1953-1954), Mavis Yerex (1954), Lyla Murdock (1955-1956), and Constance Wright (1956-1957).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
First Century of Langford, 1891-1991 by Langford Centennial History Committee, 1990, pages 58-62.
The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 159.
Page revised: 6 June 2017
Back to top of page