Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oberon School No. 259 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

The Oberon School District was established in 1884 and a school building was constructed at SE17-13-15W (about N50.09392, W99.47904) in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, on land purchased from farmer Alex Ross. Around 1892 or 1893, the building was moved about two miles east, to NE10-13-15W. It operated until June 1939 when it closed due to low student enrollment but reopened in December 1944. It closed permanently in June 1951, and students went either to Hallboro School or Auburn School, the latter in the nearby village of Oberon. The district was dissolved in May 1963, and its area was transferred to the Brookdale School District. The former school building was sold and moved to the Hallboro district where it was used as a chicken house.

Among the teachers who worked at Oberon School through the years were Mr. Danetree, Duncan Martin, Alice Taylor, Laura Kines, Miss Storey, Miss Fraser, Laura Hamilton, Angus Murray, Miss Langton, Ernie Barber, Jean McNabb, Maggie Craig, Ethel Walker (1911-1912), Mary Ranson (1914-1916), Mary Ferguson (1916-1917), Florence Blair (1917-1918), Eleanor Eldred (1919-1920), Freda Lottin (1920-1924), Kate Fraser (1924-1926), Marjorie Truss (1926-1927), Daisy Rhind (1927-1928), Jean McCrae (1928-1929), Bertha Hall (1929), Helen Ball (1930), Mary North (1930-1931), Ruth Faryon (1931-1938), Dorothy Burton (1938-1939), Chris Elmhirst (1944-1945), Irma Challborn (1945-1946), Elsie Huhtala (1946-1950), Irene Woloski (1950-1951), and Ella Ross.

Oberon School

Oberon School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 10.

Site Location (lat/long): N50.09246, W99.43191
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Auburn School No. 146 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

First Century of Langford, 1891-1991 by Langford Centennial History Committee, 1990, pages 56-58.

Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 February 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.