Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Auburn School No. 146 (RM of North Cypress)

This building in a farmyard in the Rural Municipality of Langford is the former Auburn School. Established in August 1882, the Auburn School District operated its school at three locations in the RM of North Cypress through the years, first at NE27-12-15W (about N50.04362, W99.44106), second at SW27-12-15W, and as of 1908 at the village of Oberon. The district was dissolved in 1967 and the building was moved here in 1977.

Some of the teachers who worked at Auburn School through the years included Miss Letch (1889), W. Boddy (1893), Eva Salter (1896), Annie Playfair (1899), Elspeth MacLean (1900), Edna McGill (1901), Lyley Browne (1902), Ada M. Steen (1903), Jean Rutherford (1904), Tena McIntosh (1905), Laura Kines (1906), Hazel Perkins (1908), Annie Mackie (1909), Jean Whyte (1910), Estella McManus (1911), Jean Rogers (1911), Nellie H. McLaughlin (1911-1912), Belle Ross (1914), Robina Chisholm (1915), Flo Cruickshanks (1915), V. Dusden (1916), Grace Raynor (1916), Lilian Wherrett (1917), Flo Lewis (1917), W. E. Rowan (1917), Jean Buckland (1918), Bessie Bedford (1919-1921), Hazel Rogers (1921), Myrtle Byram (1922), Gladys Frank (1922-1924), Flo Korman (1924-1925), Flo Winn (1925), Margaret Masson (1926), Esme White (1926-1928), Jean Hood (1928-1929), Ruth Cassidy (1930-1931), Florence Hicks (1931-1932), Ruth McKee (1932-1935), Marjorie Udey (1935-1936), Helen McKay (1936-1937), Ruth Calvert (1937-1939), Susan Menzies (1940-1945), Phyllis Lowe (1945-1946), Marion Mitchell (1946), Margaret McDougall (1947), Dorothy Johnson (1947-1948), Lena Penner (1948-1949), Ivy Stanners (1949), Muriel Drysdale (1949-1950), Joyce Richards (1950-1953), Grace Oliver (1953-1954), Leora Goodwin (1954-1955), Gladys Thorn (1955-1956), Muriel Thorn (1957), Phyllis Hockin (1957-1959), Joyce Prawdzik (1959-1961), Patricia Peace (1961-1963), and Olive Campbell (1963-1967).

Glendale School

The former Auburn School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 556.

Auburn School

The former Auburn School building (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.06737, W99.47624
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oberon Memorial Cairn (Oberon, RM of North Cypress)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oberon School No. 259 (RM of Langford)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 December 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.