Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakview School No. 1042 (RM of Sifton)
The Oakview School District was established in August 1899 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW33-8-25W in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. The school closed in 1954 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its catchment area became part of the Oak Lake Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. A monument commemorates the school at the site.
Among the teachers of Oakview School were Miss Shaw (1899), Jessie Merle McNiven (daughter of John D. McNiven), Donald Alexander McNiven, Miss Mickey, Miss Grant, Miss Jackson, Miss McKay, Miss Wiggins, Jock Dickinson, and Lillian Hatch.
Pipestone West topographic map, 62F/10 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982, Manitoba Legislative Library, F 5649.O23 Oxt.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 January 2018
Back to top of page