Historic Sites of Manitoba: North’s Creek School No. 2284 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The North’s Creek School District was organized formally in September 1937. It operated a one-room wood frame school building on the southwest quarter of 4-37-25 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. The school closed in 1967. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a monument, erected in 1997, commemorates it.
The teachers who worked at North’s Creek School were Anne Booth Strong (1938-1940, 1951-1952, 1955-1958), Stella Howelka (1940-1944), Merceda Foster (1944-1945), Anne Anderson (1945-1946), Florine Birss (1946-1947), Tillie Holomay (1947-1948), Elvira Peterson (1948-1950), Don Smith (1950-1951), Delbert Kvemshagen (1952-1954), Bill Howell (1954), E. Nemetchek Dolvik (1958-1961), Cecil Cox (1960), Carroll Henderson (1961-1962), Richard Holland (1962-1963), and William Pollock (1963-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
“Past times,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 12 September 2006, page 21.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 December 2016
Back to top of page