Historic Sites of Manitoba: Niverville School No. 315 (Niverville)
The Niverville School District was established in April 1884 and a schoolhouse operated in the village of Niverville. The original one-room schoolhouse operated at this site until 1912 when it was replaced by a building known as the “stone school.” In 1928, a wood frame building was constructed immediately west of it.
The stone school was demolished in 1947 but the wood frame school building was eventually moved to the yard of a nearby farm and is believed to be still standing. In 1961, the district was consolidated along with Kingswood School to form the Niverville Consolidated School District.
Among the teachers who worked at the Niverville School through the years were: Miss McCall, Mrs. Henderson, Miss Church, Mr. Simms, Miss Wilton, Helen Couston, Miss Watson, Miss Swimburn, Miss H. McAuly, C. D. Toews, George Chidley, D. G. Pomeroy, Miss Wilson, Miss Anastasia Brissette, Miss E. M. Bennett, Miss Coyle, Miss Scott, Pearl Christie, Miss L. Porte, Helmuth Klassen, Miss Johnson, Alvin Neustaedter, Oscar Andrew Wurster, Miss P. Nol, Mr. J. Burke, Mr. B. F. Olson, Miss M. Scotny, Miss M. Borley, Miss Davidson, Miss Lekie, Miss Stacey, Miss Gunnerson, Miss Strachan, Miss Davies, Miss M. Friesen, Miss E. Neufeld, Judith Penner, Miss S. Wiens, Miss M. Peters, Mr. Barkman, Mr. I. Dyck, J. M. Klassen, H. P. Friesen, Miss A. Klassen, Miss Maxwell, Miss Siemens, Art Bueckert, G. D. Pries, C. Balzer, Alex Fast, Mrs. Vern Reimer, Miss Rosen, John Stoesz, J. Driedger, Henry Klassen, Miss A. Harder, Glenn Klassen, Anne Stoesz, and Waldo Brandt.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
St. Adolphe East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 February 2023