Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kingswood School No. 703 (RM of Ritchot)
The Kingswood School District was established in June 1892. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SW14-7-3E in the Rural Municipality of Ritchot. The district was dissolved in 1961 and its area became part of the Niverville Consolidated School District. The former school building, a replacement of the original structure, was renovated into a private residence which is still present at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Kingswood School through the years were: Minerva Dearborn, Murill M. Hemming, A. French, Elizabeth Elkin, E. M. Forrester, Mary Schwartz, Catherine Gibbings, Dorothy Swinburne, Constance Offen, Ruth White, Allison Bird, C. M. Stewart, Lillian Morgan, S. M. McTavish, B. Bolten, Mina Martens, L. Sedan, Rosalie Orchard, Francis R. Johnson, Jennie Kosinski, Irene B. Dyck, M. Wiens, Joan Dearborn, Helga Peters, and Victor Krueger.
St. Adolphe East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 August 2018
Back to top of page