Historic Sites of Manitoba: Seigneurie School No. 1000 / Navin School No. 1000 (RM of Springfield)
Navin School was originally known as Seigneurie School when it was established in March 1899 in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. It closed in the early 20th century then was re-formed in July 1917. The name was changed to Navin School in 1945 and a new school building was constructed in 1957. It became part of the Transcona-Springfield School Division in 1959 and later closed upon joining the St. Boniface School Division No. 4 in 1967. The building was sold and renovated into a private residence, which is still present at the site.
Among the teachers of Seigneurie School/Navin School were J. Henri Archamboultz (1907), J. A. Blouin (1908), Charles Barsalow (1909-1910), Marie Rose Baribeau (1911), M. Ant Manaigre (1912), Jeanne Lavoie (1917, wife of Henri Lacerte), Antoinette Keroack (1918-1920), Aldea Champagne (1920-1921), Agnes de Moissac (1921-1922), Joanne Lavoic (1922-1925), Alphena M. Roy (1925-1927), Cedilic Plante (1927-1929), Renee Desiset (1930-1931), Alexina McDougall (1931-1934), Alice Desautels (1934-1935), Mary M. Neil (1935-1940), Frances Onheiser (1940), Ina Dufresne (1941-1943), Mary Berntt (1943-1944), Mrs. C. Tellier (1944-1945), Jean Pyra (1945-1946), Rosalie Cecelia Holub (1946), Gordon Gunn (1946-1947), Theresa Lambert (1947-1949), Lillian Duprey (1949-1952), Erna Emilie Oczkus (1952-1956), Therese Luptak (1956-1957), Marjorie Setter (1957-1958), Mrs. M. Michalchuk (1958) Marjorie Setter (1959), Irene Packer (1959-1960), Helen Romaniuk (1960-1962), Roberta Graham (1962-1963), and Marie-Anne Desrosiers (1963-1966).
Obituary [Rosalie C. Holub], Winnipeg Free Press, 4 November 1946, page 13.
“Navin School District No. 1000,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 June 1957, page 27.
“For sale by tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 September 1967, page 52.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Hélène Clarke and Le Centre du patrimoine of La Société historique de Saint-Boniface for providing information used here.
Page revised: 29 January 2019
Back to top of page