A former railway siding in the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester was probably named for the city in Italy. Established on the CPR Napinka Subdivision in 1903, a 50,000-bushel wooden grain elevator was constructed here by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company of Winnipeg. The elevator, and between 15,000 and 20,000 bushels of grain stored inside, was destroyed by fire on 16 September 1937.
Site of the former Naples railway siding (circa 2000)
Source: Ken Storie
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.19243, W100.39679
denoted by symbol on the map above
“Elevator destroyed,” Brandon Sun, 17 September 1937, page 2.
Record of Country Elevator Receipts, Expenses 1922-23 to and including 1955-156, Lake of the Woods Milling Company Limited, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds, MSS120-L-128.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Ken Storie.
Page revised: 1 May 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.