Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McLeod School No. 239 (RM of Rockwood)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The McLeod School District was established in August 1883 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at N27-14-1W in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. Named for municipal councilor Dugald McLeod, one of the earliest residents of the area, the school was built by James F. McCulloch. In October 1913, the district was consolidated with Brant School No. 84 to form the Brant Consolidated School District, and a new, two-storey brick school was constructed in the nearby village of Argyle. The former school building was renovated into a private residence.

Among the teachers who worked at McLeod School were James McLeod, Violet (Patterson) Ballantyne, Miss Hornabrook, J. J. Campbell, Alexander M. Campbell (1897-1907), Alex Todd, E. R. Mills, Fred Baragar, and Grace Patterson.

McLeod School

The former McLeod School building (no date)
Source: Hands Across the Meridian, A History of Brant-Argyle, 2000.

Site Location (lat/long): N50.22608, W97.51723
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Dugald McLeod (1840-1918)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McLeod School / McLeod Education Centre (530 McLeod Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Donald McLeod School No. 2221 (270 Wallace Avenue, RM of East St. Paul)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Shayne Campbell and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.