Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McLeod School / McLeod Education Centre (530 McLeod Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built in 1959, the elementary school opened within the East Kildonan School District. Its layout, designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Smith, Carter, Searle Associates, consisted of an auditorium encircled by six classrooms and an office. The $120,000 school was opened officially on 19 November 1959 by School Board Chairman L. A. McMahon. It closed in June 1997 but the facility would later reopen, hosting both an Adult Education Centre and a Senior High Academic Re-entry Program (SHARP) for the River East Transcona School Division, as well as a daycare.

Principals

Period

Principal / Director

1959-1964

Louise May Hudson (1903-1993)

1964-1966

Edmund Gerhard Wall

1966-1971

?

1971-1972

Norm T. Grywinski

1972-1984

?

1984-1985

Chris Capper

1985-1991

?

1991-1992

Michael Quinn

1992-1997

?

?-?

George Wall

?-?

Val Kovachik (1933-2005)

?-?

Fred Enns

?-?

Helen McCracken

?-?

Ron Ford

?-?

Leslie Wilmot Wiley (1910-1996)

1999-2006

Phil McBurney

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

McLeod School

The former McLeod School building (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.93234, W97.08068
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McLeod School No. 239 (RM of Rockwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Donald McLeod School No. 2221 (270 Wallace Avenue, RM of East St. Paul)

Sources:

“School tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1958, page 48.

32 more classroms for E. K. Students,” [Newspaper Clipping], 18 June 1959. Jim Smith / MMC Alumni

McLeod School opening Thursday,” [Newspaper Clipping], November 1959. Jim Smith / MMC Alumni

McLeod School staff salaries,” by Jim Smith / MMC Alumni

McLeod School celebrates 25,” [Newspaper Clipping], Jim Smith / MMC Alumni

“How fast is too fast, councillor asks,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Editioin, 10 December 1991, page 5.

“McLeod School closure sends nurseries scrambling for space,” Winnipeg Free Press North/Northeast Community Review, 14 May 1997, page 3.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 22 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.