Historic Sites of Manitoba: McDermott School No. 810 (RM of Dufferin)
The McDermott School District was established in March 1894, using in part some land taken from the St. Daniel School District. Before a school building was constructed, classes were held in a house belonging to Frank McDermott, for whom the district was named. About 1902, a wood frame building was erected at SW36-7-5W in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. It was moved one and a half miles south, to SW25-7-5W, in 1916. It was replaced three years later by a concrete block building. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its land joined the Carman Consolidated School District. The building is no longer present at the site but a sign commemorates it.
Among the teachers of McDermott School were Frank White and Ila Clark Lang (1943-1944).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
School Bells & Honey Pails: A GPS Tour of Local Country Schools, Dufferin Historical Museum, circa 2011, 74 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 August 2015
Back to top of page