Historic Sites of Manitoba: McBeth House (31 McBeth Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built in 1912-1913 by Robert McBeth, McBeth House sites on land granted to the “McBeath” family around 1817. Moving from their original grant to allow the building of the community’s first church (now St. John’s Cathedral), this site was continuously inhabited by members of the family until 1984. At that time, the home and property were given to the city for their present use. A plaque was unveiled in September 1987 by the City of Winnipeg to highlight the history of the McBeth House, which is a municipally-designated historic site.
An earlier home, situated 30 meters to the northeast, was built in 1850-1851 by Robert McBeth Sr, a free trader and farmer. Adjoining the house was a store and, at the foot of the property, the landing site of his fleet of York boats. The monument for the plaque is constructed from foundation stones of that house.
The house is operated by the City of Winnipeg and can be contacted by telephone at 204-334-0432.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 December 2018
Back to top of page