This warehouse was designed and built in 1900 by James McDiarmid, who also designed the nearby Donald H. Bain Building and Merrick-Anderson Building. By 1906, the firm had outgrown the building and moved to a larger facility. The building continued to be used as a warehouse for several firms, including the Gurney North West Foundry, the Manitoba Cooperative Honey Producers, and the Max Waldhorn Company. Restoration of the municipally-designated historic building was recognized by a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Marshall Wells Building (April 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Marshall Wells Building (February 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89732, W97.13527
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marshall Wells Warehouse (136 Market Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: International Laboratories Building (490 Des Meurons Street, Winnipeg)
Marshall-Wells Warehouse (123 Bannatyne Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1983.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!