Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nicholson Building / Donald H. Bain Building (115 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
This building, designed by local architect James McDiarmid and constructed in 1899, housed one of the oldest grocery brokerages in western Canada. The three-storey portion of this structure was built for Edward Nicholson who, together with his partner Donald H. Bain, did so well in the wholesale grocery business that, by 1920, they had moved to the neighbouring, five-storey Merrick-Anderson Building. A plaque is mounted on the west side of the main (south side) entrance of the building, now a municipally-designated historic site.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Donald H. Bain Building (115 Bannatyne Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, April 1980.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 June 2017
Back to top of page