Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marland School No. 1476 (RM of Oakview)
The Marland School District was established formally in March 1908, and a schoolhouse was built the next year at NE3-15-22W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview. Named for the family on an adjoining land section, Marland School was the educational and social centre of the community, and for 20 years also hosted church services led by clerics from Oak River and, later, McConnell.
The school closed in 1947 and the district was dissolved in January 1954. Its catchment area was divided between Cardale Consolidated School No. 1763, Holylea School No. 904, McConnell Consolidated School No. 1711, Marney School No. 275, and Oak River Consolidated School No. 253. The former school building was moved to Cardale where it was used for a time as a senior citizens centre. A simple sign commemorates its original location.
McConnell: Little Town Lost by McConnell Women’s Institute and History Committee, 1979.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 April 2017
Back to top of page