Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maple Hill School No. 1691 (Municipality of Grassland)
The Maple Hill School District was organized formally in August 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW16-6-25W in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. The school closed in 1964 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its area became part of the Hartney Consolidated School District and later the Souris Valley School Division.
The teachers of Maple Hill School (1914-1964) were Miss Ella Ross (1914), J. S. S. Budd, Mr. Jones, A. Bayer, L. M. Graham, Marie Saurette, E. M. Farlie, Evelyn Rogers, Jeannie Flannery, A. W. Roche, Thelma Strong, M. Hogland, M. H. Forke, Alice Rusend, Francise Pierce, Dorothy Phillips, Robert Reid, M. McNabb, M. E. O’Neil, Lillian Lafreniere, John Champayne, Shirley Lewis, Pat Lafreniere, Jeanne Colleaux, Raymond Labelle, Shirley Slatter, Emma Shwark, Aubrey Alderson, Miss Raine, Walter Zinkew, Mrs. Penny, Jack Brignoly, Mrs. Jenson, and Mrs. Irene Witt (1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
We thank Dion Lobreau for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 June 2019
Back to top of page