A two-storey wooden barn at NE17-8-17W in the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa was built in 1913 by English-born farmer William Lamb (1859-1934) using a plan from the T. Eaton Company. Lamb retired to Souris in 1921 and the property was purchased in the 1950s by the Elder family. It is still in the hands of their descendents, having been renovated and repainted for use as a venue for private events.
The former Lamb Barn of Maplegrove Farm (May 2019)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
The former Lamb Barn of Maplegrove Farm (July 2022)
Source: Kathryn Hyndman
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.66399, W99.74201
denoted by symbol on the map above
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
Death registration [William Lamb], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“W. Lamb, pioneer Souris settler, dies on Thursday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 January 1934, page 3.
“Preserving vanishing prairie barns a difficult row to hoe,” The Manitoba Co-operator, 6 June 2019, page 21.
Error processing SSI file
We thank David Ford and Kathryn Hyndman for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 July 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.