Historic Sites of Manitoba: Luther School No. 1018 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Luther School was built on the southwest quarter of 22-4-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. It was reportedly named by local farmer Hugh McDougall and his son Ed for the school at their previous home in Ontario. A building was erected in the summer of 1900 and it opened for classes that fall, under teacher Miss Messer, who stayed just two days. The next teacher, Miss Kennedy, stayed until the end of the year.
The following were other teachers who worked at Luther School: Miss Sadie West, Miss Edith Johnston, Miss Edith Irvine, Miss Frances Logan, Miss Jean Sutton, Miss Vera K. Morton, Miss Nora Hallan, Miss Mary E. Halls, Miss Alma Wall, Mr. James Maynard, Miss McGregor, and Miss Anna B. Smith.
In 1919, the school was closed permanently and consolidated with Chain Lakes School to form Dand Consolidated School No. 1913. The school building is no longer present at the site but a monument unveiled on 3 July 1994 commemorates it.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Golden Memories: A History of the Dand Community, Dand Women’s Institute, 1967.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 32.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 July 2018
Back to top of page