Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chain Lakes School No. 783 (RM of Cameron)
The Chain Lakes School District was established formally in May 1893 and a one-room frame schoolhouse was erected two years later at this site, on the northwest corner of 3-5-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Cameron. After 24 years of service, it closed in October 1919 when its district was consolidated with Luther School No. 1018 to become Dand Consolidated School No. 1913.
Some of the teachers who worked at Chain Lakes School included: Ed Woodhull (1894), Miss Marguerite Morrison, Miss Orpha McCullogh, Miss Coral Spencer, Miss Elizabeth Sutton, Miss Jessie Andrews (1918), Miss Lillian Beynon, Miss Young, Miss Alice Jones, Miss Ida McCulloch, Janet L. More (who had also been a student at the school), Miss Collier, Miss Martha Reekie, Grace Woodhull, Miss Jamieson, Miss M. Sulley, and Ethel Sutton.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Golden Memories: A History of the Dand Community, Dand Women’s Institute, 1967.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 January 2015
Back to top of page