Historic Sites of Manitoba: Livingstone School No. 22 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
The Livingstone School District was organized in January 1875. The first log school was built later that year on the southwest quarter of 24-12-12 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. In 1879, it was replaced by a new school on NW24-14-12W. A third school was built in 1914 on NW24-14-12W. It closed in December 1947. A monument was unveiled on 22 July 1995 to commemorate the pioneers, teachers, and students of Livingstone School.
Among the teachers of Livingstone School were Effie McCaskill (1897), Emily Inkster (1911), Jean A. McLaughlin (1915-1916), and Izara Mildred Butler (1936-1940).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 20.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Livingstone School District No. 22 Daily Registers, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 13 March 2020