Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lilac School No. 2282 (RM of Gimli)

In 1936, the two-room school at Dnister was destroyed by fire. Although the school was rebuilt, the fire precipitated a decision to establish another school district, drawing land from adjoining districts of Minerva, South Felsendorf, and Dnister, to be named Lilac School. A frame building, 22 feet by 42 feet, was erected on land in the Rural Municipality of Gimli donated by local farmer Leon Gottfried. Classes commenced in September 1937. Five years later, a teacherage building was bought and moved to the site. As student enrollment dwindled into the 1960s, Lilac School was consolidated into Evergreen School Division No. 22 and the district was formally dissolved in April 1967. In the early 1990s, the wood frame building sat vacant at SE24-19-3E.

Among the teachers who worked at Lilac School were Mr. P. J. Humeniuk, Alexander Ewanchuk, Mr. E. D. Persowage, Michael Shewaga, Gregory Marko, Mr. A. J. Nicky, John Melnyk, Mrs. H. Pashnitski, Miss M. L. Klym, Ingibjorg Neilson, and Peter Wesley (1957-1965).

Lilac School

Lilac School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 130.

Lilac School

Lilac School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.64024, W97.04190
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Rural Municipality of Gimli: Historical Highlights, 1887-1987 by Rural Municipality of Gimli Centennial Homecoming Committee. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G55 Rur.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 May 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.