Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dnister School No. 1463 (RM of Gimli)
Dnister School was established in June 1908, in the northeast quarter of 25-19-3 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Gimli, on farm land donated by Nykola Shewchuk. The school was named after the Dnister River in Ukraine, from the region in which many of the settlers in this area had come. As the community grew, an addition to made to the school in 1920, providing space for students up to Grade 10. The school burned down in the fall of 1936 and was rebuilt the following year, but the Dnister community gradually dissolved, to be replaced by that of Lilac. The Dnister School District was formally dissolved in April 1967, becoming part of Evergreen School Division No. 22.
Among the teachers who worked at Dnister School were Greg Marko and Peter Wesley.
A noteworthy graduate of Dnister School was Michael Ewanchuk.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Municipality of Gimli: Historical Highlights, 1887-1987 by Rural Municipality of Gimli Centennial Homecoming Committee. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G55 Rur.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2014
Back to top of page