Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Felsendorf School No. 1096 (RM of Armstrong)
Established in January 1901, South Felsendorf School was one of the first in the region formed by German, Ukrainian and Polish settlers who arrived in the area during the late 1880s and early 1900s. Originally, two schools were built, with North Felsendorf situated northwest of this site. Student enrollment was large, with as many as 70 students in attendance during the 1920s. The schools were closed in 1957 due to low enrollment. Students from South Felsendorf went to Fraserwood or Lilac School. The district was formally merged into Evergreen School Division No. 22 in April 1967. The former school building was sold and moved to another site for use as a private residence.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Municipality of Gimli: Historical Highlights, 1887-1987 by Rural Municipality of Gimli Centennial Homecoming Committee. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G55 Rur.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Tyyne Petrowski for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2021