Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lea Bank School No. 958 (RM of Morris)
The Lea Bank School District was formally established in March 1898 and a school building was constructed in the southwest quarter of 19-6-1 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Morris, opening for classes in March 1899. In 1908, the building was moved to southeast corner of NE23-6-1W. The original building was renovated in 1939 then replaced with a new structure ten years later. The district was dissolved in 1959 and henceforth students from this area went to Greenbank School No. 2124 or Brunkild Consolidated School No. 2181. The building was sold and moved east of the Red River. A commemorative monument for the school was erected in a nearby cemetery and, in September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected at the original site.
Among the teachers who worked at Lea Bank School were Shirley Ferris, Lucy Naherney, Miss Reimer, Agnes Penner, Olga Myska, Helen Albrecht, Beulah Angst, Eleanor Schmok, Miss Gateson, Beryl Rodgers, Selma Davidson, Carrie Doughty, and Mrs. Fern Rose.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11638-159 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Lea Bank School and Lorna Clark for providing additional information.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2019