Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lansdowne School No. 145 (RM of Sifton)
The Lansdowne School District was established formally in June 1883 although it had been operating informally since November 1882. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NW27-8-24W in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. It was replaced in 1892 by a new wood frame structure at SE27-8-24W. The school closed in June 1959 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its area became part of the Oak Lake Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. The former school building was still standing at the site as of the early 1980s.
Among the teachers of Lansdowne School were Miss Cameron (1884-1885), Miss Mary Scott (1886-1887), Miss Annie Laurie (1892), Miss McFarlane, Miss Irene Nelson, Mrs. Viola Izzard (1958-1959), and Winnie Steen (?-?).
Pipestone East topographic map, 62F/10 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982, Manitoba Legislative Library, F 5649.O23 Oxt.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 December 2018
Back to top of page