The Langevin School District was established in May 1898, probably named for cleric Louis Philippe Adelard Langevin, and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE19-2-1E in the Rural Municipality of Montcalm. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area was added to the Altona Consolidated School District and later the Rhineland School Division.
Langevin School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 28
The former Langevin School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 703
The former Langevin School building (no date)
Source: Cam Timlick
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.13355, W97.43792
denoted by symbol on the map above
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Henry Unger and Cam Timlick for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 February 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.