Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lancaster School No. 1542 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Lancaster School District was organized formally in August 1910. As of 1944, a one-room schoolhouse was operating at NE12-37-28W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. It was replaced with a new structure in 1950. The school closed permanently in 1966 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division.
School District Formation Files [Lancaster School District No. 1542], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Michelle Holdway for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2019
Back to top of page