In 1901, the Lake of the Woods Milling Company had Winnipeg architect J. H. G. Russell design a new two-storey office building that was built for them by Edward Cass at this site on McDermot Avenue. The main floor had general and private offices, a sample room, and vault. A boardroom, three bedrooms, washrooms, and storage space were on the upper floor. Ten years later, the main floor was reorganized and additional office space was made on the second floor. The Winnipeg building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Lake of the Woods Building (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89698, W97.13966
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Cameron, RM of Two Borders)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Elva, RM of Two Borders)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Harmsworth, RM of Wallace)
Manitoba Business: Lake of the Woods Milling Company
Lake of the Woods Building (212 McDermot Avenue), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, April 2003.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 May 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.