Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Cameron, Municipality of Two Borders)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Cameron (named for Melita implements dealer A. E. Cameron, who owned the land on which the community was established), in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders, was built by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company in 1902. Served by the now-abandoned CPR Lyleton Subdivision, and renovated in 1927, it became part of Ogilvie Milling after the two companies merged in 1954 and was purchased by Manitoba Pool in 1959. It was closed in 1970 and sold into private ownership. At the time of a 2014 site visit, the elevator appeared to be unused.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1902-1922

?

1922-1923

W. E. Ashton

1923-1931

F. N. Downie

1931-1932

Closed

1932-1933

J. Smith

1933-1935

Closed

1935-1945

D. D. Cameron

1945-1946

K. E. Charles

1947-1948

D. A. Charles

1948-1956

G. W. Pedden

1956-1970

?

Photos & Coordinates

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator (August 1992)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 2273.

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator (August 2014)
Source: Jean McManus

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator (October 2015)
Source: Rob Tisdale

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator

Former Lake of the Woods grain elevator (September 2019)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.08092, W101.07792
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Elva, RM of Two Borders)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator (Harmsworth, RM of Wallace)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Building (212 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Record of Country Elevator Receipts, Expenses 1922-23 to and including 1955-1956, Lake of the Woods Milling Company Limited, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, Ogilvie Flour Mills Fonds, MSS120 Box 146 File 1.

A History of Grain Elevators in Manitoba by John Everitt, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, circa 1993.

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

We thank Jean McManus, Rob Tisdale, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.