Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lac du Bonnet School No. 1235 (Lac du Bonnet)
The Lac du Bonnet School District was established formally in May 1903 and, the following year, a one-room log schoolhouse built at NE7-15-11E in Lac du Bonnet. A June 1915 addition made it into a three-classroom school. As student enrollment grew, two teachers were employed by the district by 1913 and three teachers by 1921. A larger school building, designed by Gilbert Parfitt, was built in 1931 after which the old school building was sold and moved off the site. The second school was destroyed by fire on 24 February 1945 and a replacement was opened in January 1947. In 1961, a eight-classroom collegiate was constructed and opened officially on 24 November 1961. The district was dissolved in 1962, becoming the Lac du Bonnet Consolidated School District No. 2394.
A stone monument at the site of the first Lac du Bonnet School was erected in 2016 by the Lac du Bonnet Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee. Some records relating to school operations through the years are held by the Lac du Bonnet Historical Society.
Among the other teachers of Lac du Bonnet School were Sarah McDougall (1904-1905), Agnes Curran (1905), J. H. Gallant (1905), Eva McRae (1908), Miss M. Grange (1909), F. Carriere (1909), Bertha Dymond (1909-1912), Mr. J. McGuiness (1912), Miss L. E. Swain (1916), Miss R. McKenzie (1921), Miss L. Pearlman (1921), Miss Silver (1923), Miss J. Simmie (1923), Miss A. F. Lachmance (1924-1926), Miss M. Levant (1924), Nellie Abrain (1926), Miss Feely (1929), Janet S. Reid (1930-1935), Miss F. Molloy (1930-1936), Margaret Scarfe (1930), Miss J. H. Fletcher (1936), D. L. Cameron (1938), J. Nyznyk (1940-1941), Aileen Small (1940-1942), Margaret Daley (1940-1941), J. Reid (1940-1941), Florence Coutts (1941), Mrs. H. Bees (1941), Jessie McConnal (1941-1942), Mrs. J. C. Bietting (1941-1942), W. M. Loader (1941-1942), A. Solar (1942-1944), D. G. Irwin (1942-1944), Mrs. A. K. Bietting (1942-1944), Catherine Slater (1942-1944), Mrs. C. M. Thorton (1943), Mrs. D. G. Kaatz (1943), Mrs. J. M. Kruyk (1943), Mary Hrynchuk [Hrenchuk] (1943), Annie Davidowski (1943), and C. M. Whitworth (1944-1945).
Photos & Maps
Lac du Bonnet School #1235 Ledgers (W. D. Halliday, Secretary-Treasurer), Lac du Bonnet Historical Society.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Terry Tottle, and Marlene Tottle.
Page revised: 10 March 2019
Back to top of page