Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kilmory School No. 28 (RM of Dufferin)
The Kilmory School District was established formally in July 1875, named for Kilmory Castle in Argyllshire, Scotland from which local settlers from the Campbell family had come. A log school building, known as the Campbellville Schoolhouse, was erected on the southwest quarter of 23-6-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. After a few years, it was replaced by a wood frame structure west of the corner on SE22-6-5W. Around 1921, this building was sold to the McIntyre family and moved to NE17-6-5W where, as of 1980, it remained in use as part of their residence.
The third Kilmory School was originally the schoolhouse for Orr School No. 343, which had closed in 1918 and had been moved to this site (SW21-6-5W) in 1920. It was used for classes until 1967, when the school closed and became part of the Carman Consolidated School District No. 176. The building was owned for a time by local artist Kathleen Coburn-Donnelly. The building was still standing as of 1982 but now appears to be gone, replaced by a commemorative sign.
Teachers at Kilmory School during its early years included Thomas Halliday, Duncan McIntyre, Ernest Coulter (1886), Annie York (1887), Ernest J. Motley (1888), Dugald McIntyre (1889), Archibald McGregor (1890), Mary E. Moir (1891), Margaret R. Baxter (1892), Gertrude Potter (1893), Sarah E. Wallace (1894-1896), A. Hugg (1896), M. Hugg (1896), S. J. Sexsmith (1897), Agnes Miller (1898), Elmina S. Jickling (1899-1900), Nelly Young (1900), Maggie A. Kilpatrick (1901), M. E. Loree (1902), Jessie Graham (1905), Cora Smith (1906), Ruby Winkler (1906), May C. Bradshaw (1907-1908), Jennie Strang (1909-1911), Kathleen Zurbrich (1911-1913), Annie Watson (1914-1915), Isabel Inkster (1915), Clara L. Hayward (1916), May M. Osborne (1917-1918), Flora N. Sexsmith (1918-1919), Nellie Usher (1919), and Irene M. Bennett (1919-1920).
Noteworthy students who attended Kilmory School included Thomas James Harrison.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1880-1980 compiled and edited by June M. Watson with the assistance of the History Book Committee, RM of Dufferin, 1982.
School Bells & Honey Pails: A GPS Tour of Local Country Schools, Dufferin Historical Museum, circa 2011, 74 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2021