Historic Sites of Manitoba: John W. Gunn School (351 Harold Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Built in 1966 by the Transcona-Springfield School Division and named for long-time school trustee John William Gunn, this junior high school opened on 18 November 1966. It was expanded by eight classrooms in 1968 based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald.
Photos & Maps
“Membership welcomed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 September 1966, page 20.
“Three schools planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1967, page 3.
“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 March 1968, page 41.
“Her students are the light of her life,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South, 12 May 1992, page 5.
Transcona: Celebrating 75 Years of Community, 1911-1986 by the Transcona 75th Jubilee Committee, Betty Ann Watts, ed., 1986. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.T73 TRA]
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 April 2018
Back to top of page