Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jellicoe School No. 1836 (RM of Riding Mountain West)
The Jellicoe School District was organized formally in July 1916, probably named for First World War naval officer John Jellicoe (1859-1935), and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE30-19-27W in what is now the RM of Riding Mountain West. It closed in June 1945 and the remaining students went to Binscarth Consolidated School No. 2326. The building was sold and moved to a farmyard in the Rural Municipality of Birtle for use as a private residence. A monument at the original site, erected in 1968, commemorates it.
The teachers of Jellicoe School were Eva Diamond (1917), Miss Singleton (1918), Mable Davidson (1919), Jessie Iverach (1920), Mable Kelly (1921), N. Gentry (1922), F. Brown (1923-1924), Miss Stevenson (1925), Leifa Joyce (1926-1929), Bertha Hall (1930), Pearl Boyd (1931-1936), Kennatha Statham (1937-1939), Audrey Brown (1939-1942), Irene Birney (1942), Beatrice MacKay (1943), and Ninalou Duke (1944-1945).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Lidcliff Reflections, 1881-1982 by the Lidcliff History Club, circa 1982.
Binscarth Memories by Binscarth History Committee, 1984. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.Bin]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 November 2018
Back to top of page