Historic Sites of Manitoba: Inglis Building / North West Commercial Travellers’ Association Building (291 Garry Street, Winnipeg)
In 1908, tailor A. F. Thomas designed and built a one-storey café at 291 Garry Street. A few months later, he added 16 feet to the rear of the structure plus an upper storey, both designed by local architect J. D. Atchison. Four years later, the building was taken over by the tailoring firm of R. J. Inglis Company, which made extensive renovations to it, supervised by architect H. B. Rugh. In 1916, Inglis built a 40-foot addition to the rear of the building, with two storeys plus mezzanine floors.
Inglis left the site in 1924 after which the building was vacant for several years before it was rented by the Army and Navy Veterans in Canada. In 1945, the building was purchased by the North West Commercial Travellers’ Association, and converted into office and a meeting hall. Subsequent main floor tenants included the Monarch Life Assurance Company, Fidelity Trust, and A & M Furniture Rental and Sales.
North West Commercial Travellers' Association Building (291 Garry Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 2002.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2020
Back to top of page