Occupants | Photos & Maps | Sources
This historic house in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews sits near the present-day site of Lockport, at the place known as the Rapids.
The land for Hawthorne Lodge was originally granted to George Taylor Jr., surveyor of the Red River Settlement, from the Hudson's Bay Company in 1839. It was undeveloped until 1858, when John Edward Harriott purchased the property and built the first house. The property has changed hands several times in its history, housing numerous notable Manitobans.
In 1918, the original house was destroyed by fire. The owner at the time, Dunbar Hibbard Hudson, founder of the Hudson Bay Paper Company, subsequently built the house that is still present on the site, spelled on an entrance sign as Hawthorn Lodge.
Photos & Coordinates
Lillian Gibbons, “Hawthorne Lodge (Little Britain),” Early Red River Homes, MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1945-46 season
Edwin Pridham, “The Title to Land in Manitoba,” MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1956-57 Season
This page was prepared by S. Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 17 June 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.