Historic Sites of Manitoba: Harlington School No. 1164 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Harlington School District, named for civil servant Hugh Harley, was established formally in November 1901 and a building was erected at SE19-35-28W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. In 1967, it became part of the Swan Valley School Division and was closed. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a metal sign, bell, and inscribed plaque commemorates it. The schoolhouse was moved to a farmyard where it is used for storage.
Among the teachers of Harlington School were Louise Greig (1903), Vida McKay (1904), Christine McKinnon (1905), M. S. Guthrie (1906), Alice M. Eagle (1907-1909), Christina McLean (1909-1910), Cora McConnell (1910), Margaret Bigham (1911-1914), May Maddin (1914-1915), E. A. Swartwood (1915-1917), Myril Van Wyck (1916-1918), Helen Armstrong (1918-1920), Nellie Gable (1920-1922), Clara Fletcher (1922-1926), Mary Spencer (1926-1927), Beatrice Fletcher (1927-1928), Jean Reid (1928-1933), Margaret Reid (1933-1938), Isabel Reid (1938-1939), Miss McConcill (1938-1939), Nancy Little (1938-1939), Dorothy Rinn (1939-1941), Francis Provins (1941-1942), Pearl Stevens (1942-1943), Ninalow Duke (1943-1944), Ellen Emmond (1944-1946), Fred Bohdanovich (1946-1947), Sarah Waschenfelder (1947-1949), Fern McRae (1949-1951), Ruth Mortimer (1951-1952), Ruth Fullerton (1952-1953), Winnifred Bateman (1953-1954), Peter J. Caryk (1954-1955), Pat Niven (1956), Joan Riley (1956-1957), Jan Lambert (1957-1958), Florence Bosinski (1958-1959), Shirley Horn (1959-1960), Ruth Butterfield (1960-1961), June Millar (1961-1963), Kathleen Fox (1963-1964), Doug Stein (1964-1965), Janis Trevellyan (1965-1966), and Sarah Vopnie (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
Kenville, Ruby, Mt. Crest, Davidson, Harlington, Square Plains, Pretty Valley by Kenville Reunion Committee, July 1977.
We thank John Madsen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 June 2021