Historic Sites of Manitoba: Halicz School No. 1258 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)
The Halicz School District was established in January 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse was constructed during the summer of 1904 at SE35-26-21W in the Rural Municipality of Gilbert Plains. This building was destroyed by fire in 1959 but a new one replaced it. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building was moved to Gilbert Plains where it was used for a time, along with the former Deer Park School and Mineral Creek School, as overflow classroom space. After a new elementary school building opened, it remained at the same location but was turned 90 degrees and was renovated into a private residence. At the original site, the concrete basement for the schoolhouse is still present.
Among the teachers who worked at Halicz School were Wasyl Zaporzan (1904) and Mr. D. Perch.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 February 2017
Back to top of page