Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey School No. 1356 (Clanwilliam, RM of Minto-Odanah)
A monument in Clanwilliam, in the Rural Municipality of Minto, was erected in July 1983 as part of homecoming celebrations, at the former site of Grey School. Formally established in August 1905, a building was erected in 1912 on a design by Winnipeg architect W. W. Blair. The school operated until January 1968. An additional plaque was added to the monument as part of Clanwilliam homecoming celebrations in July 2003. On top of the monument is the original school bell, stored from 1968 to 2000 by the family of Norman McPherson, and installed here in 2000 by former teachers of Grey School.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 February 2021