Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grainsby School No. 1294 (RM of Riding Mountain West)

The Grainsby School District was organized formally in May 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW33-23-29W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Riding Mountain West. It was destroyed by fire in August 1918 and was replaced at the same site. It was closed temporarily between 1945 and 1950 then closed permanently in 1960 and, four years later, the building was sold to a local farmer who moved to his farm and converted it into a storage shed. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Goose Lake Consolidated School District No. 1283 and later the Intermountain School Division. A commemorative sign remains at the former school site.

Among the teachers of Grainsby School were Hugh W. Keele (1905), Emily Turner (1905-1906), Florence McClare (1907), J. M. Davidson (1907), A. S. Bishop (1908), Percy M. Baldwin (1909), Annie McDougall (1909), Violet E. Leflar (1910), Annie Hodgson (1911-1912), Christina Fletcher (1913-1914), Emma Henderson (1914-1916), A. E. Cameron (1918-1919), Olive Charbonneau (1919-1920), Stella White (1920-1921), Leslie Langford (1921-1922), Florence Henderson (1922-1923), Bentina Erlendson (1924), Mabel F. Cook (1925, 1926-1927), Dorothy Nuttall (1925-1926), Jean W. Woodhull (1927-1928), Mildred Belton (1928-1929), Winnifred Harvey (1929-1930), Malcolm Gillies (1930-1933), Kennatha Statham (1933-1937), Florentine Menzies (1937-1940), Violet Lewis (1940-1941), Lucie Brooks (1941-1942), Orma Mack (1942), Flo Hunter (1943-1944), Dorothy Baxter (1944-1945), Margaret Dillabough (1950-1951), Freda Bradley-Hunt (1951-1952), Myron Shykitka (1952-1953), Mrs. Lietz (1953-1954), Mrs. Thirza Smith (1954-1957), and Mrs. Margaret Kendrick (1957-1959).

Grainsby School

Grainsby School (no date) by A. F. Kerr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 93.

Grainsby School commemorative sign

Grainsby School commemorative sign (June 2018)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.02210, W101.49173
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Roblin West topographic map, 62N/3 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Then and Now: Dropmore, Castleavery, Grainsby, Rochedale by Betty Bauereiss, 1995. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S44 Bau]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.