Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glen Elmo School No. 2194 (Municipality of Rossburn)
The Glen Elmo School District was established formally in March 1929 and a one-room school building was erected on the northwest quarter of 25-21-25 west of the Principal Meridian in the Municipality of Rossburn. It closed in 1966 and its remaining students went to Rossburn Consolidated School No. 2358. The district was dissolved the following year and its area eventually became part of the Pelly Trail School Division. The building, designated in 1996 as a municipal historic site, still stands at the site, used for storage.
The teachers of Glen Elmo School were Caroline Shumanski (1929-1931), Nydia Nedley (1931-1932), Tony Simbalist (1932-1934), Mary Tanachow (1934-1935), Peter Bugera (1935-1938), Ann Chomomoz (1939-1940), Lena Kuzyk, Caroline Parobec, Archie Fiel, Stanley Malchuk, Emily Rubeniuk, Mrs. Mortimore, Ellen Temowski, Kay Spence, Florence Danylyshyn, Alex Kreshewski, Miss Shwaluk, Miss Lindsay, Miss Parypa, Ms. Helen Chomeko, Rhea Simmard, Ann Woroniuk, Joe Zatylny, Helen Komher, Margaret Yanchycki, and Mrs. Mary Komhyr (1961-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Glen Elmo School, NW 25-21-25W, Birdtail area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2021