Historic Sites of Manitoba: Frontenac School (866 Autumnwood Drive, Winnipeg)
Located in the Windsor Park area of St. Boniface, this 12-room school in the St. Boniface School Division was designed by the architectural firm of Zunic and Sobkowich, and built in 1957 at a cost of $165,000. It opened to students in grades 1-8 in late August 1957. An auditorium was added in 1964.
It is operated by the Louis Riel School Division.
Among the teachers of Frontenac School was Elizabeth B. Fingas.
Photos & Coordinates
“St. Boniface taxes up and down,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 April 1957, page 3.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 31 August 1957, page 5.
“Some Greater Winnipeg schools to be crowded,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1957, page 3.
Ville Cathedral de Saint Boniface: The Cathedral City, promotional pamphlet, c1958.
“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 February 1964, page 47.
“St. Boniface School Division No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 May 1989, page 62.
“St. Boniface School Division No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 June 1993, page C12.
“St. Boniface School Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 March 1994, page B4.
“Students tough on principal’s hair,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 October 1999, page A3.
“Students learning about ravages of war through their peers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 November 2000, page B17.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Bruce Doner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 3 February 2021