Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fraser Block / Chrest Block (1031 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)
Completed in 1890 by building contractor H. W. Wheeldon based on a design by local architect W. R. Marshall, this Brandon landmark was the premises of A. C. Fraser and Company, one of the city’s leading department stores. When it was known as the Fraser Block, the building was also one of the earliest locations of the Rapid City Academy, a forerunner of Brandon University.
The building was renamed the Chrest Block by owner William Chrest. His sons Norman, Chris, and Nick operated a dry-cleaning business there until the early 1970s. It was later home to a bookstore.
Fraser Block (Chrest Block), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Karen Chrest for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 November 2012
Back to top of page