Historic Sites of Manitoba: Foxwarren Consolidated School No. 525 (Foxwarren, Municipality of Prairie View)
The Foxwarren Consolidated School arose in May 1916 from the consolidation of five school districts: Bayfield School No. 525, Dunstan School No. 379, Crewe School No. 546, Foxwarren School No. 1274, and Moresby School No. 910. In 1917, a two-storey brick school was erected in Foxwarren in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View, on a design by Winnipeg architect Henry William Greene. A bell tower was raised on the school in 1926, using the proceeds of concerts organized by principal George Stevens. Student enrollment in the school varied through time, from 54 to 250, with instruction up to grade 12 from 1927 to 1965, and up to grade 8 after 1965. The bell was later removed when the roof was deemed unable to support it, and it is now displayed as part of a commemorative monument for the school, along with the stone block bearing the year of its construction, and the time capsule from the earlier school inside the monument. The school was replaced by a new structure in 1995 but it closed in 2002 due to low enrollment. The 1917 school building was demolished.
Among the early teachers at Foxwarren School was Sybil Francis Shack (1932-1934).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Council reports,” Birtle Eyewitness, 3 October 1961, page 10.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Trustees conduct regular meeting,” Hamiota Echo, 13 September 1988, page 7.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
“New Foxwarren School opened,” Shoal Lake Crossroads, 21 February 1995, page 1.
“Teacher assistants,” Shoal Lake Star, 27 July 1998, page 8.
“Rural schools facing empty classrooms,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 May 2003, page 21.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 January 2022