Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bayfield School No. 525 / Bayfield Presbyterian Church / Bayfield United Church (Municipality of Prairie View)
A monument in the Municipality of Prairie View commemorates the Bayfield School No. 525, which operated near this site from 1888 and 1916 before being consolidated into Foxwarren Consolidated School No. 525. The former school building was moved to a farm north of Foxwarren and used as a private residence.
The teachers of Bayfield School included Emily Tibbatts (1888), H. M. Elliot (1889-1899), John A. Grant (1899-1901), Bella Cox (1902, wife of Arthur Meighen), Charles Brydon (1903-1904), W. M. Huskins (1904-1907), Florence Cameron (1907), Christine Grant (1908-1909), H. L. Brace (1909), Jeanne Leckie (1910-1911), Margaret Lecki (1912), Miss N. Stewart (1912), Minnie Allen (1913), William Hyde (1913-1914), Myrtle Cahoon (1914), Margaret Sonne (1915), and Tanis Naisbit (1915-1916).
The monument also commemorates the Bayfield United Church (formerly Bayfield Presbyterian Church) which operated between 1912 and 1960. The building was moved to Russell to be used as a Ukrainian Greek Orthodox church.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Fox’s Tale: The History of Foxwarren and the Consolidated School District #525 by Foxwarren and District History Book Committee, 1989, pages 56-57.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 October 2021