A monument in the village of Winnipegosis in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River commemorates Fort Dauphin, which is believed to have been built in this vicinity in the autumn of 1741 by Pierre de la Verendrye, eldest surviving son of Pierre Gaultier De Varennes La Vérendrye. A plaque on its side was unveiled by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada at a ceremony on 17 August 1952.
Fort Dauphin Monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N51.65535, W99.92339
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Dauphin Museum (140 Jackson Street, Dauphin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort la Reine Monument (RM of Portage la Prairie)
“Outstanding Canadian figures to be honored,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 July 1943, page 2.
We thank Norman J. Williamson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 August 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.