Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broad Valley School No. 1543 / Red School (RM of Fisher)
The Broad Valley School District was established formally in August 1910 and, by the end of that year, a school building was built at the northwest corner of NW11-24-2W in the Rural Municipality of Fisher. Known as Red School, the structure was consumed by fire in December 1911. Classes were held temporarily at the farm of Adolph Bocek at NE10-24-2W until a replacement structure was opened in 1912, in nearby Fisher Branch. A shelterbelt of trees at the site marks the former school’s location.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Place of Our Own - A History of No Ordinary People, 1982, Fisher Branch Historical Society.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 December 2019
Back to top of page