The Broad Valley School District was established formally in February 1916. A wood frame, one-classroom building was constructed at SE29-7-3W in the Municipality of Dufferin and it operated until 1968. The former school building stood at the site until at least October 2000, but was demolished a few years later and replaced by a private residence.
Among the teachers who worked at Broad Valley School through the years was J. Fred Woods.
Students of the Vacation Bible School in front of Broad Valley School (late 1930s)
Source: Tim Schlegel
The former Broad Valley School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 332.
The former Broad Valley School building (October 2000)
Source: Tim Schlegel
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.59197, W97.82415
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broad Valley Cemetery / Homewood Bergthaler Mennonite Cemetery (RM of Dufferin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broad Valley School / Fisher Branch School No. 1543 (RM of Fisher)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Rural Municipality of Dufferin: 1880-1980 compiled by June M. Watson with the Dufferin History Book Committee, 1982, page 188.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Tim Schlegel, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.