Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ekron School No. 2093 (RM of La Broquerie)
The Ekron School District was established formally in April 1922, having been preceded by a private German-language school, and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW29-6-7E in the Rural Municipality of La Broquerie. A new school building was constructed during the summer of 1948. In June 1962, the school closed and students were bused to Steinbach. The former school building was sold for $2,000. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of Hanover School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Ekron School through the years were Agatha Barkman (1920), John C. Reimer (1922-1923), Franz Klassen (1920s), Gerhard T. Reimer (1920s), J. Penner (1920s), Cornelius G. Unruh (1931-1939), Anne Friesen, Elizabeth Bergman, D. Voth, Mrs. Rosenfeld, Victor Toews, Betty Funk, John Martens, Franz Klassen, Neil Unruh, Anne Koop, Helen Rempel, Nettie Neufeld, Miss H. Loewen, Stella Rose Martens, Anne Funk, Henry Esau (1958-1959), P. W. Barkman (1959-1960), and Edward Thiessen (1960-1962).
Ste. Anne East topographic map, 62H/10 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Henry Esau and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 November 2019
Back to top of page