Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Duck Hills School No. 1828 (Municipality of Ethelbert)

The Duck Hills School District was established in June 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE12-28-23W in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. No vestige of the former school building remains at the site.

Among the teachers of Duck Hills School were M. P. Ostapowicz (1917-1918), D. P. Demczuk (1919-1920), S. P. Basarabouicz (1919-1920), J. Swyrd (1921-1922), Mack D. Shemeluck (1922-1923), William Zaporzan (1922-1924), John H. Hykawy (1924), L. J. Syrnyk (1924-1925), W. Byas (1924-1925), Miss A. Genik (1925-1926), Stephen H. Billinsky (1925-1926), Harold Steenes (1926-1927), J. H. Symyk (1927-1929), Elsie H. Moskal (1928-1929), M. S. Dobson (1929-1930), Marion H. Price (1930-1931), Dora Genik (1931-1933), Mike J. Maksymetz (1933-1936), H. J. Maksymetz (1936-1939), Bertha Keller (1939-1940), Helen Kamfolio (1940-1941), Adeline E. Syrnyk (1941-1942), Sarah E. Hayward (1942-1943), Elizabeth Rozyk (1943-1944), Miss Helen Derzak (1944-1945), Alice Anne Dykun (1945-1946), Nettie Helen Potoroka (1946-1947), Tony Danyluk (1947-1948), Michael L. Maksymetz (1948-1949), Michael J. Shewchuk (1949-1950), John Urichen (1950-1951), Nell Holomay (1951-1952), Sylvester Michaluk (1952-1953), Jean Strilkiwski (1953-1954), Margaret Zurkowski (1954-1955), Miss Stella Monita (1955-1956), Miss Verna Syrnyk (1956-1957), Nestor Serwa (1957-1958), Miss Isabelle Ortman (1958-1959), Hilliard E. Sawchuk (1959-1960), Lillian M. Shennan (1960-1963), Mrs. B. Wood (1963-1964), Mrs. Violet Meakin (1964-1966), and Mrs. Violet Meakin (1966-1967).

Duck Hills School

Duck Hills School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 53.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.37704, W100.55837
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Baldy Mountain East topographic map, 62N/7 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 50.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.